Our team has compiled this list of questions to help leaders make fair and objective decisions – whether about day-to-day business transactions, client relationships or your team.
The questions are a starting point to encourage reflection on perspectives that may be missing when problem solving and making key decisions. They also help to reduce the potential for unconscious bias in decision-making:
- Who is most like me in my team?
- Who is the person who will challenge me the most?
- What is the mix of diversity such as age, gender, cultural diversity, in the team?
- Is our team representative of our customers?
- If the demographics are similar, is there a risk of groupthink?
- Who is not represented?
- Have I sought multiple perspectives before making key decisions?
- Are meeting times and work arrangements inclusive of the team’s diverse needs?
- Have I communicated that diversity of background and thinking contributes to team strength and better performance?
- When recruiting for a new role, have I considered a diverse candidate pool?
These questions are part of our broader Inclusive Leader Self-Assessment resources and training programs. Please click here if you’d like more information.